Friday, May 05, 2006

My new 2TB storage for work: The Yellow Machine


When I set it up I will return with a review.

You can find information on this network appliance here.
-------------------------------
Sent from my HP6515


Edit: Updated 08 May 2006

I brought the machine home and found it to be very stout. It has a robust administration interface, either from the installed software on the admin computer or the web interface. I wanted to see how it would reconfigure the Raid, so I configured it to RAID 0+1. The unit calls it RAID 1+0 for some reason. It took about 4-5 hours to complete the transformation. As we are looking for the maximum disk space with a bit of redundancy I reconfigured the YM back to the default RAID 5. If you ever get one of these machines and change it from the default and decide to go back, I suggest you start it and walk away for along time. Try 26-28 hours for completion of the RAID5 configuration.

Tomorrow I bring it back to work and hook it into the network. I had it hooked into my network at the house, but I couldn't see the large share the YM boasts about. I'm sure it is because of the network protocol that I use at home. I remember reading about being able to use the different networking protocols in a few reviews. I just need to play with the YM allot more to find all the settings for such things. All-in-all, I am very impressed with this tiny, breadboxed sized network appliance. I am sure the boss will like it as well, as soon as I get it up and running at the office.

I will post more about the Yellow Machine as I find new and interesting things.

No comments: